The online Special Education certification track of the Master of Science in Education - Special Education is designed for teachers who want to improve their ability to meet the needs of students with special challenges. Most classrooms today include at least a few students with a learning challenge, which can be physical, emotional/behavioral, developmental, and/or intellectual. This program provides you with a comprehensive understanding of instructional techniques and best practices you can use to help these students learn successfully.
Special Education Certification Curriculum
Special Education certification track courses focus on inclusive teaching strategies and special education classroom management. In this nine credit hour track (also available as a stand-alone option), you will examine:
- Current issues in special education
- Diagnostic assessment and how to monitor progress
- How to help students with high and low incidence disabilities
- How emotional/social and behavioral disorders affect student comprehension
If you have a passionate commitment to helping all student achieve their full potential, consider Saint Joseph's University’s Special Education certification program and take the first step toward influencing minds and fostering positive change in society.
Special Education Certification Career Outlook
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of special-education teachers is expected to increase significantly in the next several years with excellent job prospects as many school districts report problems finding adequate numbers of certified special-education teachers.1 As this demand for committed and compassionate educators grows, this certification will allow you to directly help others. With an online Special Education certification from Saint Joseph's University, you can help fill this critical need.
Potential careers in this field include:
- Special Education Teacher: As a special education teacher, you will act as the primary instructor within a classroom of children who have been diagnosed with a range of disabilities.
- Special Education Specialist: As a special education specialist, you will work one-on-one with students who require higher levels of assistance or supervision during the school day.
- Rehabilitation Counselor: As a rehabilitation counselor, you will help both children and adults finish their education, land a job, or attain or regain their independence.
- Educational Diagnostician: As an educational diagnostician, you will assess a student’s disabilities and recommending the appropriate learning materials to ensure the student achieves academic success.
Certification Track Requirements
Applicants for this track should have a bachelor’s degree in one of the following areas:
- Elementary Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Secondary Education
They should also have Level 1 teacher certification in one of the following:
- Early childhood/Elementary (PK-4, K-6, or similar other state certification)
- Middle Level (Grades 4-8)
- Secondary (Grade 7-12: Math, Science, English/Language Arts, Social Studies)
- Reading Specialist K-12
Physical Education, Art, Music, Drivers Education, and Foreign Language teacher certification may not be eligible.
Earn Two or More Certifications
You can choose to earn more than one certification as part of your work in the online master’s program. In addition to the Special Education certification, you can also add the Autism Endorsement and Wilson Reading System® certification to your studies by completing additional credit hours and other requirements.
For more information about the online Special Education certification program from Saint Joseph’s University and what it can do for your career, call (215) 473-2695 to speak with a Program Manager or request more information below.