Time to completion:2 Years
High school and middle school teachers often play special roles in their students' lives, as coaches, instructors, and mentors. It is critically important that they teach not only their curriculum, but also critical thinking skills and good learning habits that will enable students to succeed in higher education and as working adults. They must also help students build important life skills such as responsibility and a sense of self-worth that will enable them to grow as life-long learners.
The online Master of Science in Education - Secondary Education with Online Accelerated Teaching Certification from Saint Joseph’s University is an efficient, convenient, and cost effective way to get the skills and credentials you need to accomplish your career goals for educating students in grades 7-12. Graduates will receive not only a cutting-edge master’s degree built on the latest theories and techniques for young adult education, but completion of the program also qualifies graduates to receive secondary education certification in Pennsylvania, which is recognized by most states. Certification subjects include Math, English, Citizenship, and Science.
In 2011-2012, 56 percent of public school teachers had a master’s degree or higher.1
Through 2024, it is estimated that 55,310 new high school teachers will be needed to fill open positions.2
Throughout the country, tight state and local budgets are making the market for teaching jobs more competitive than ever before. A specialized master’s in secondary education degree can help you stand apart from other educators as you pursue opportunities to teach or assume educational leadership roles in middle and high schools anywhere in America.
Perfect for those who are answering a new career calling to teach or who want to begin their teaching careers with the best possible credentials, the online master's in secondary education from Saint Joseph’s University delivers a research-based curriculum in an online format designed to fit into the busy schedules of working adults. With classes in the adolescent psychology, diagnostic assessment, language and culture, and more, the online master's degree in secondary education will help refine classroom delivery skills while preparing you for new educational challenges. Graduates of our secondary education master’s program will enter the workforce having obtained the following skills and learning outcomes:
- Advanced knowledge of teaching modalities which will enable educators to figure out how to motivate students, promote good study skills, and adapt to individual learning styles
- An understanding of how to teach teenagers and young adults, keeping in mind adolescent psychology and the behavioral changes that are taking place amongst students
- Curriculum design experience and hands on practice teaching in a classroom
- Knowledge of how to measure student achievement to gauge learning performance and student satisfaction
- Special teaching skills including an understanding of how to teach English as a second language and how to teach special needs students
- A background in teaching theory and the history of American education that emphasizes current problems in secondary education including graduation rates, educational equity, and issues surrounding school choice and school quality
Coursework is taught by Saint Joseph’s University faculty members who are accomplished educators with extensive academic credentials in addition to ample practical experience.
The support and encouragement I received from the faculty at St. Joe's (both past and present), means more to me than I can ever express. Their unfailing dedication and belief in their students, is what makes St. Joe's stand above the rest.Catherine Zickel
Take a moment to gain more insight on this growing field by visiting Saint Joseph’s University’s content resource center where you will find articles, blogs, and student testimonials specific to Secondary Education.
To learn more about the online Master of Science in Education - Secondary Education program from Saint Joseph’s University and what it can do for your career, call (866) 758-7670 to speak with a Program Manager, or you can request more information below, and we’ll reach out to you.