Dr. Samuel B. Slike has been the Director of Special Education Online Programs at SJU since 2011. Previously he was Professor and Curriculum Coordinator of the Master of Science Education of the Deaf/HH Program at Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania where he prepared teachers of the deaf and hard of hearing for 32 years.
He was the lead developer for 2 CD-ROM projects that were nationally marketed: Introduction to Sign Language: A CD-ROM Approach (2001) and Speechreading Challenges on CD-ROM (1999). Dr. Slike is also credited with the establishment of the first Bachelor’s degree program for training interpreters for the deaf/hh in the state of Pennsylvania (1982). In addition to the above, he has published numerous articles and has presented on the state, national, and international levels.
- SPE 731 Language, Literacy & Communication Development for Students who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- SPE 739 Student Teaching and Professional Seminar (Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing)
- Bachelor - Deaf Education - Pennsylvania State University
- Master of Science - Elementary Education – The University of Scranton
- Doctorate - Educational Administration - Pennsylvania State University
- Faculty Emeritus Status - Bloomsburg University
- 2018 Alumni Excellence Award from The Pennsylvania State University, the highest honor bestowed upon an alumnus of the College of Education (2018) University Park, PA
- International Platinum Award from IMS Global Learning Consortium, Inc. for the presentation “Wimba @ Work: Improving Access for High Needs Career Education (2011) Long Beach, CA
- Innovation in Teaching Teachers of Deaf/HH Technology Award from the 35th Annual Conference of the Association of College Educators of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (ACE-DHH), (2009) New Orleans, LA
- Bronze Award at the United States Distance Learning Awards – Best Practices in Higher Education for: 74.201.99 History, Education and Guidance of the Deaf/HH Online Course – Bloomsburg University (2008) in Saint Louis, Missouri
- Luckner, J., Slike, S. & Johnson, H. (2012). Helping students who are deaf or hard of hearing succeed. Teaching Exceptional Children, 44(4), 58-67.
- Slike, S. & Berman, P. (2008). Integrating multiple media sources to teach synchronous online courses to learners who are deaf or hard of hearing. Journal of Instruction Delivery Systems. 22 (3), pp. 10-13.
- Slike, S., Berman, P., Klein, T., Rebilas, K., & Bosch, E. (2008). Providing online course opportunities for learners who are deaf, hard of hearing, or hearing. (reprint) American Annals of the Deaf. 153 (3), pp. 304 – 308.