The professors in this program are wonderful. They make themselves available whenever you need...
- Business Intelligence
- Criminal Justice
- Health Administration
- Instructional Technology
- Organization Development and Leadership
- Secondary Education
- Special Education
- Deaf Education
- Graduate Certificates
- Instructional Technology Specialist Certification
- Special Education Certification
- PA Hearing Impaired PK-12 Certification
- Accelerated Teaching Certification
- Wilson Reading System® Certification
- Post-Master's Certificate - Behavior Analysis
- OATCERT Candidate Resources
- About SJU
Enable Every Child’s Full Potential
The online Master of Science in Special Education (MS Education) is built on the foundation of the Response to Intervention (RTI) program, a research-based strategy for student achievement that is implemented with success on a daily basis in school districts across the country. In addition, most graduates of the online Special Education master’s degree program at Saint Joseph’s University are also eligible to receive Special Education Certification in Pennsylvania, with reciprocity in many other states. This combination of advanced training and professional certification makes the online Master of Science in Special Education from Saint Joseph’s University a career-building advantage, with a caring focus on developing students who need the help of expert practitioners.
Click the image for an interactive infographic on teaching students with special needs in your state.
The online Master of Science in Special Education from Saint Joseph’s University features a choice of two concentrations tailored to the greatest needs of Special Education students in the modern classroom:
Autism Endorsement Concentration – This concentration focuses on proper diagnosis and ongoing lesson delivery across the entire autism spectrum, with emphasis on skill development and behavioral modification. The need has never been greater, with suggested prevalence rates of diagnosis for autism and other developmental disorders increasing 10% to 17% annually*.
Wilson Reading System® Concentration– Saint Joseph’s University offers one of the only online training programs in the world for the popular Wilson Reading System® for students with special needs. Upon completion of this concentration, graduates will receive the Wilson Reading Certification and be prepared to deliver multi-sensory reading education to students in a variety of settings.
Who Should Apply?
Whether your heart is in primary or secondary special education, teachers who exhibit the following traits tend to enjoy the most successful and fulfilling classroom experience:
- Organized – It takes a tremendous amount of organization to keep a differentiated classroom on track. In addition, many special education students find comfort in having a specific plan of action mapping out their entire day. Therefore, it’s important for special education teachers to plan ahead and keep their classroom on schedule.
- Creative – To meet each student’s unique learning style and instructional preference, many special education teachers must come up with inventive methods to utilize the resources on hand in a variety of ways.
- Intuitive – Many special education students cannot effectively share their thoughts or express emotions. A vital trait for being a great special education teacher is recognizing when students are confused or frustrated and help those students find a way to work through their emotions.
- Calm – The potential for behavioral problems in a special education classroom is high, which can make it challenging to maintain a safe class environment. A calm and non-reactive teacher will have a soothing and reassuring effect on all of his or her students.
Additional Special Education Certifications
A variety of stand-alone Special Education certifications are also offered online at Saint Joseph’s University. Master’s students can complement their degree with career-building certifications in the Wilson Reading System® or in Special Education for grades PreK-8 or 7-12. All three certifications are available to those not seeking a full master’s degree, as well.
Take a moment to gain more insight on this growing field by visiting St. Joseph’s University’s content resource center where you will find tools, tips and thoughts specific to Special Education.
To learn more about the online Master of Science in Special Education from Saint Joseph’s University and what it can do for your career, call (866) 758-7670 to speak with an admissions representative right away or request more information.
*Source: Division of Birth Defects, National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/data.html]