The professors in this program are wonderful. They make themselves available whenever you need...
- Business Intelligence
- Criminal Justice
- Health Administration
- Instructional Technology
- Organization Development and Leadership
- Secondary Education
- Special Education
- Deaf Education
- Graduate Certificates
- Instructional Technology Specialist Certification
- Special Education Certification
- PA Hearing Impaired K-12 Certification
- Accelerated Teaching Certification
- Wilson Reading System® Certification
- Post-Master's Certificate - Behavior Analysis
- Post-Master's Certificate - Homeland Security
- OATCERT Candidate Resources
- About SJU
Online Accelerated Teacher Certification (OATCERT) Curriculum
Earning your online teacher certification requires a commitment to excellence and focus. Saint Joseph's University prepares you for the next phase of your professional career with an extensive and in-depth program that is designed to push you to reach your intellectual potential.
Saint Joseph's online teacher certification program equips you with the skills you need to succeed and develops the character and desire to positively influence the minds and lives of young men and women.
The convenient online class format provides an opportunity for you to enter a program that can accommodate any schedule. Our online program provides an environment in which you can study when and where you want and gives you an opportunity to collaborate with other online students.
Some of the courses you will take in our OATCERT program are listed below.
To receive certification only:
- EDU 550 Historical and Contemporary Perspectives in Education (3 credits)
- EDU 557 Adolescent Psychology (3 Credits)
- SPE 550/600 Foundations and Critical Issues in Special Education (3 credits)
- EDU 646 Language and Culture (3 credits)
- SPE 602 Diagnostic Assessment and Progress Monitoring (3 credits)
- SPE 612 Inclusive Classroom Practices (3 credits)
- EDU 647 Literacy and Learning Across the Curriculum (3 credits)
- EDU 625 Theory & Practice in Secondary Education (3 credits)
- EDU 691 Secondary Teaching in Inclusive Environments (6 credits)
- Full-time working/teaching experience for one full semester
To receive certification and a master's degree, you will take the above courses and choose two electives from the following list:
- EDL 600 Educational Leader as Researcher and Reflective Practitioner (3 credits)
- EDL 605 Critical Contemporary Educational Issues (3 credits)
- EDL 680 Law and American Education (3 credits)
- ITS 605 Technology Applications for Learning Environments (3 credits)
- Other electives available depending on semester
Program candidates seeking teaching certification are required to complete approved and documented field experiences in the classrooms of certified teachers prior to their own student teaching.
The Instructor of each OATCERT course will establish the procedures and the number of hours required. In addition, participants in EDU 625 Practical Issues in Secondary Education (Methods) will deliver a mini-lesson of at least 30-40 minutes in length during their field experience. Course instructors will provide specific directions for completing written or teaching assignments related to the fieldwork.
Candidates who are not currently teaching will be responsible for securing their own placements with certified teachers in their content area. Candidates who are currently teaching may complete the field experience requirement, including the mini-lessons, in their own classrooms.
If you would like more information about the online Master of Science in Secondary Education and Accelerated Teaching Certification, please call us toll-free at (866) 758-7670 or you can request more information. Speak with one of our admissions representatives who will be happy to tell you all about how Saint Joseph's University Online can help you achieve the career you've always wanted.