The professors in this program are wonderful. They make themselves available whenever you need...
- Business Intelligence
- Criminal Justice
- Test Flight The Curriculum
- Course Descriptions
- Career Outlook
- CJ - Behavior Analysis
- CJ - Behavior Management
- CJ - Federal Law Enforcement
- CJ - Homeland Security
- CJ - Intelligence & Crime Analysis
- Student Testimonials
- Tools, Tips & Thoughts
- Health Administration
- Instructional Technology
- Organization Development and Leadership
- Secondary Education
- Special Education
- Deaf Education
- Graduate Certificates
- Instructional Technology Specialist Certification
- Special Education Certification
- PA Hearing Impaired PK-12 Certification
- Accelerated Teaching Certification
- Wilson Reading System® Certification
- Post-Master's Certificate - Behavior Analysis
- OATCERT Candidate Resources
- About SJU
Master's Degree in Criminal Justice: Homeland Security Concentration
In the wake of 9/11, the US Department of Homeland Security published the National Strategy for Homeland Security in order to keep the nation safe, free, and prosperous in the face of the threat of transnational terrorism.
This strategy is officially defined as "a concerted national effort to prevent terrorist attacks within the United States, reduce America's vulnerability to terrorism, and minimize the damage and recover from attacks that do occur." It respects the principle of federalism and other constitutional imperatives; fosters a notion of shared responsibility between all levels of government, the private sector, and individual citizens; recognizes the necessity of cooperating with friends and allies around the world; and calls for new, enduring programs to effectively combat terrorism.
The online Master's Degree in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Homeland Security prepares graduates to respond effectively to threats against our nation, our citizens, and our resources from terrorism and natural catastrophic events. The faculty brings years of experience to the graduate learning process in a way that provides a real world, practical education that can be applied to any catastrophic situation. You can learn more about the importance of a specialized education in Homeland Security, by reading Homeland Security: A Brief Look at the Sociology of Disasters and Why Those Who Respond Benefit from Specialized Skills.
There are numerous homeland security jobs offered by the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) that are just as challenging as they are rewarding.
Graduates of SJU’s online Master’s degree in Criminal Justice: Homeland Security Concentration that find themselves working as a Homeland Security Agent open themselves up to a myriad of roles ranging in responsibilities from securing our borders, airports, seaports, and waterways to researching and developing the latest security technologies.
According to the DHS*, the unique career opportunities they offer can be broken into 4 categories:
- Mission support, which includes fields that span medical, human resources, facilities, budget, and procurement to science and technology, training, intelligence, planning and coordination, civil rights and much, much more.
- Law enforcement, which offers positions ranging from the protection of the President, Vice President, and their families to positions whose responsibilities include enforcing economic, transportation, and infrastructure security.
- Immigration and travel security, which focuses predominantly on protecting the nation’s transportation systems and the overseeing of lawful immigration to the United States.
- Prevention and response, which offers careers involving the protection of the public, environment, and U.S. economic and security interests as well as in providing preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation to reduce loss of life and property from all hazards.
You may be eligible to receive Federal Financial Assistance in the form of student loans or grants. Saint Joseph's University Online uses the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to determine award amounts.
Start advancing your career today with an Online Homeland Security Concentration in Criminal Justice from Saint Joseph’s University. Call (866) 758-7670 or request more information.