The professors in this program are wonderful. They make themselves available whenever you need...
- Business Intelligence
- Criminal Justice
- Test Flight The Curriculum
- Course Descriptions
- Career Outlook
- CJ - Behavior Analysis
- CJ - Behavior Management
- CJ - Federal Law Enforcement
- CJ - Homeland Security
- CJ - Intelligence & Crime Analysis
- Student Testimonials
- Tools, Tips & Thoughts
- Health Administration
- Instructional Technology
- Organization Development and Leadership
- Secondary Education
- Special Education
- Deaf Education
- Graduate Certificates
- Instructional Technology Specialist Certification
- Special Education Certification
- PA Hearing Impaired PK-12 Certification
- Accelerated Teaching Certification
- Wilson Reading System® Certification
- Post-Master's Certificate - Behavior Analysis
- OATCERT Candidate Resources
- About SJU
Hearing Impaired PK-12 Certification Program (Pennsylvania Issued)
The Pennsylvania Department of Education, Bureau of School Leadership and Teacher Quality, has granted approval of Saint Joseph’s University’s Online PA Hearing Impaired PK-12 certification program.
As a nationally-ranked school, Saint Joseph’s University offers courses specifically designed to strengthen and expand your teaching capabilities. This program prepares educators for certification and to acquire the competencies specifically needed to support learning and development in children with hearing loss. As such, it is ideally suited for:
- Special education teachers seeking an additional certification
- General education teachers with an interest in becoming a teacher of students who are deaf and hard of hearing
- General education teachers with deaf or hard of hearing students in their classrooms
- Bachelor’s level professionals or paraprofessionals who are seeking initial certification and certification as a teacher of students who are deaf and hard of hearing *
- Related service personnel (e.g. Speech/Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Physical Therapists) who wish to become teachers of students who are deaf and hard of hearing *
- Sign Language interpreters who wish to become teachers of students who are deaf and hard of hearing *
* These individuals’ credentials will be individually evaluated and additional pedagogy coursework may be required.
PA Hearing Impaired PK-12 Certification Options
The certification may be combined with a Master’s degree (for only 6 more credits) or completed as a stand-alone option as follows:
- Master of Science in Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing with PA Hearing Impaired PK-12 Certification (36 credits)
- Master of Science in Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing with PA Hearing Impaired PK-12 Certification and PreK-8 Special Education Certification (48 credits)
- Master of Science in Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing with PA Hearing Impaired PK-12 Certification and 7 -12 Special Education Certification (48 credits)
- Pennsylvania Hearing Impaired PK-12 Certification (30 Credits)
Our certification courses offer in-depth analyses on hearing impaired education. You can learn how to make a difference in students’ lives by learning and engaging in our hearing loss research.
Our progressive certification courses are taught by our expert faculty, who are very involved throughout your education journey at Saint Joseph’s University. Taking online courses does not take away our faculty’s dedication to your learning. You can read student testimonials regarding their online experience at Saint Joseph’s University here.
Candidates for online Hearing Impaired PK-12 Certification Program are required to hold a Bachelor’s degree and are expected to have basic Sign Language competency. Additionally, this program is intended for individuals who have earned at least initial Standard/Level 1 certification or have equivalent education and experience working with deaf/hard of hearing students.
Student Teaching and Field Experience
The PA Department of Education requires all teacher candidates to complete field experience competencies in certification programs. The Special Education Department at Saint Joseph’s University has designated activities in each course in the required curriculum to meet the state standards. The last course in this program is the student teaching experience.
From the student teaching experience, you can truly understand what it takes to help hearing-impaired students. This necessary step to complete our curriculum prepares you for your jump into the workforce as soon as you graduate.
For more on student teaching or a complete list of admissions criteria, call (866) 758-7670 to speak with an admissions representative or request more information and we’ll reach out to you within 24 hours!