The professors in this program are wonderful. They make themselves available whenever you need...
- Business Intelligence
- Criminal Justice
- Health Administration
- Instructional Technology
- Organization Development and Leadership
- Secondary Education
- Special Education
- Deaf Education
- Graduate Certificates
- Instructional Technology Specialist Certification
- Special Education Certification
- PA Hearing Impaired K-12 Certification
- Accelerated Teaching Certification
- Wilson Reading System® Certification
- Post-Master's Certificate - Behavior Analysis
- Post-Master's Certificate - Homeland Security
- OATCERT Candidate Resources
- About SJU
Hearing Impaired N-12 Certification Program (Pennsylvania Issued)
The Pennsylvania Department of Education, Bureau of School Leadership and Teacher Quality, has granted approval of Saint Joseph’s University’s Online PA Hearing Impaired N-12 certification program.
This program prepares educators for certification and to acquire the competencies specifically needed to support learning and development in children with hearing loss. As such, it is ideally suited for:
- Special education teachers seeking an additional certification
- General education teachers with an interest in becoming a teacher of students who are deaf and hard of hearing
- General education teachers with deaf or hard of hearing students in their classrooms
- Bachelor’s level professionals or paraprofessionals who are seeking initial certification and certification as a teacher of students who are deaf and hard of hearing *
- Related service personnel (e.g. Speech/Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Physical Therapists) who wish to become teachers of students who are deaf and hard of hearing *
- Sign Language interpreters who wish to become teachers of students who are deaf and hard of hearing *
* These individuals’ credentials will be individually evaluated and additional pedagogy coursework may be required.
PA Hearing Impaired N-12 Certification Options
The certification may be combined with a Master’s degree (for only 6 more credits) or completed as a stand-alone option as follows:
- Master of Science in Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing with PA Hearing Impaired N-12 Certification (36 credits)
- Master of Science in Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing with PA Hearing Impaired N-12 Certification and PreK-8 Special Education Certification (48 credits)
- Master of Science in Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing with PA Hearing Impaired N-12 Certification and 7 -12 Special Education Certification (48 credits)
- Pennsylvania Hearing Impaired N-12 Certification (30 Credits)
Candidates for online Hearing Impaired N-12 Certification Program are required to hold a Bachelor’s degree and are expected to have basic Sign Language competency. Additionally, this program is intended for individuals who have earned at least initial Standard/Level 1 certification or have equivalent education and experience working with deaf/hard of hearing students.
Student Teaching and Field Experience
The PA Department of Education requires all teacher candidates to complete field experience competencies in certification programs. The Special Education Department at Saint Joseph’s University has designated activities in each course in the required curriculum to meet the state standards. The last course in this program is the student teaching experience.
For more on student teaching or a complete list of admissions criteria, call (866) 758-7670 to speak with an admissions representative or request more information and we’ll reach out to you within 24 hours!