The professors in this program are wonderful. They make themselves available whenever you need...
- Business Intelligence
- Criminal Justice
- Health Administration
- Instructional Technology
- Organization Development and Leadership
- Secondary Education
- Special Education
- Deaf Education
- Graduate Certificates
- Instructional Technology Specialist Certification
- Special Education Certification
- PA Hearing Impaired K-12 Certification
- Accelerated Teaching Certification
- Wilson Reading System® Certification
- Post-Master's Certificate - Behavior Analysis
- Post-Master's Certificate - Homeland Security
- OATCERT Candidate Resources
- About SJU
Master’s Program for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Education PK-12
The Pennsylvania Department of Education, Bureau of School Leadership and Teacher Quality, has granted approval of Saint Joseph’s University’s online Master of Science: Special Education with Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing PK-12 Certification.
This program prepares educators for certification and to acquire the competencies specifically needed to support learning and development in children with hearing loss.
Appropriate Candidates for this Program Include:
- State certified general education and special education teachers seeking an additional certification
- Professionals or paraprofessionals with a bachelor’s degree who are seeking initial certification (PK-12 option) and Pennsylvania Hearing Impaired PK-12 certification as a teacher of students who are deaf and hard of hearing*
- Related service personnel (e.g. Speech/Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Physical Therapists) who wish to become teachers of students who are deaf and hard of hearing*
- Sign Language interpreters who wish to become teachers of students who are deaf and hard of hearing*
*These individuals’ credentials will be individually evaluated and additional pedagogy coursework may be required.
Online Program Options:
The certification may be combined with a Master’s degree (for only 6 more credits) or completed as a stand-alone option as follows:
- M.S.Ed.: Special Education with Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing PK-12*
- Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing PK-12 Certification (only)*
- M.S.Ed.: Special Education with certification in Pre K-8 and Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing PK-12*
- M.S.Ed.: Special Education with certification in 7-12 and Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing PK-12*
*The teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing concentration leads to the following PA certification: Hearing Impaired (PK-12)
Candidates for the Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Online Certification Program are required to hold a Bachelor’s degree and are expected to have basic Sign Language competency. Additionally, this program is intended for individuals who have earned at least initial Standard/Level 1 certification or have equivalent education and experience working with deaf/hard of hearing students.
PK-12 Program Guidelines:
For individuals without teacher certification, please review the PK-12 Program Guidelines Table which references courses required for admission to the Education of the Deaf/HH Program. This table aligns PK-12 Guidelines competencies with the pre-requisite courses.
Pre-requisite Coursework and Required Competencies:
Candidates will be expected to have basic sign language competency as a pre-requisite to the program. This includes a demonstration of the following:
- Evidence of successful completion of one 3-credit accredited course on sign language, or
- The following entry level skill, either:
- Intermediate Skill Level: Sign Language Proficiency Interview (SLPI) or
- Level 2: American Sign Language Proficiency Interview (ASLPI)
Student Teaching and Field Experience:
The PA Department of Education requires all teacher candidates to complete field experience competencies in certification programs. The Special Education Department at Saint Joseph’s University has designated activities in each course in the required curriculum to meet the state standards. The last course in this program is the student teaching experience.
For more on student teaching or a complete list of admissions criteria, call (866) 758-7670 to speak with an admissions representative or request more information and we’ll reach out to you within 24 hours!